fbpx

Halloween

With the abundance of chocolate and sweets at Halloween it’s important to remember that some of these can be toxic to dogs so spare a thought for your dog this Halloween and keep the sugary treats away from their grasp.

Here are some things to watch for:

Chocolate: Most dog owners will know this is at the top of the ‘not to feed your dog list’. Chocolate contains substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, rapid or irregular heart rate, tremors and seizures. Dark chocolate is the most toxic. Even a little chocolate can make a small dog sick.

Coconut: Most coconut containing treats will be covered in a thin layer of chocolate but the coconut can also cause an upset stomach and loose stools.

Hard sweets: Sweets that contain one main ingredient, sugar, can cause diarrhea. Also with the different shapes and slipperiness of sweets, they can cause a choking hazard. Lollipops could also get stuck in your dog’s digestive tract.

Chocolate covered raisins: Raisins are one of the most toxic food for dogs. Eating them can cause sudden kidney failure.

These are just a few things to keep an eye out for. If you do have Halloween celebrations it may be worth considering having some dog friendly treats available so they don’t feel the need to try and steal your treats.

If you do suspect your dog has gotten their paws on your Halloween treats please consider taking them to the vet as soon as possible.

Author: Woof

Hi, I am Woof! The friendly Happy Dog and the official administrator of Happy Dog Directory. If you ever need any help, go to the contact page. You can find a link to it on any page, at the very bottom in the right handside.

Share this page