- 1. The information we collect about you and how we do it, including
- 1a. how we collect information about you
- 1b. how we will use information we collect about you
- 1c. what information we collect
- 1d. why we need your email address
- 1e. using cookies
- 1f. if recording your calls
- 2. How we will use your information, including:
- 2a. when you use Yell Business
- 2b. when you use our Keyword Search Tool
- 2c. website customisation and advert targeting
- 2d. tracking how our websites are used
- 2e. when you order our products or services
- 2f. testimonials
- 2g. direct marketing
- 2h. customer surveys
- 3. when we will contact you
- 4. direct marketing and how you can manage your marketing preferences
- 5. who we may share your personal information with
- 6. where we process your personal information
- 7. how to keep your information up to date
- 8. how we keep your information secure
- 9. why we link to other websites
- 10. using cookies on our websites and how you can reject them
- 11. what rights you have in your personal information and how can you use them
To provide you with the advertising services you have ordered, we need information about you.
If you use Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites, you are in control of what information we collect about you, but if you choose not to share your information, you may not be able to access or use some areas of our websites.
1a. How we collect information about you
We will collect information about you when you:
- use our online services;
- advertise with us;
- register to use Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites;
- register for, or attend, a SiteMaker Webinar or any other seminar, conference, workshop, training course or networking event we advertise and/ or provide;
- set up, look at, or change your profile or account with us;
- ask for information from us;
- give us a testimonial or other feedback;
- enter competitions, prize draws or other special promotions;
- fill in surveys.
1b. How we will use information we collect about you
We may use credit reference (CRA) and fraud prevention (FPA) agencies to help us make decisions before we provide credit to you to allow you to buy advertising. We also buy business information from other organisations. so we may get information about you from those organisations.
A condensed guide to how we, CRA’s and FPA’s will use your information is detailed below.
- We may search a CRA and FPA for information on you and your financial associates. If you give us false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, details may be passed to CRA’s and FPA’s.
- We may use the information provided to us by CRA’s and FPA’s to help make credit or credit related decisions, to verify your identity, for the prevention and detection of fraud and/ or money laundering, and to manage accounts. We may use scoring methods, which may be automated, to do this. If you borrow for us and do not make payments you owe us, we may trace your whereabouts and recover debts.
- When CRA’s receive a search from us they will place a search “footprint” on your credit file whether or not your application proceeds.
- The information which we and other organisations provide to the CRA’s and FPA’s may be supplied by CRA’s to other organisations and used by them to perform similar checks.
You can contact the 3 CRA’s currently operating in the UK; the information they hold may not be the same so it is worth contacting them all. They will charge you a small statutory fee:
CallCredit Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ or call 0870 060 1414
Equifax PLC, Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 1140, Bradford, BD1 5US or call 0844 335 0550
Experian Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF or call 0844 841 8000
1c. What information we collect
The information we collect and hold about you may include your:
- name (first and last name);
- business name;
- job title;
- business address;
- phone and/or mobile phone numbers;
- email address;
- HotHead account number;
- bank account, debit card and/or credit card details;
- date of birth;
- credit history, credit rating or credit score;
- password details, answers to security questions (for example your mother’s maiden name) or both; and
- any other information you may give us when you write to us or contact us in other ways.
1d. Why we need your email address
When you register on Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites, we collect your email address. We may use it for account administration and for added security. We may use your email address to send you a confirmation of any order or booking you make, if you ask for our products or services and to confirm any profile or account changes you make. We might also use your email address to bring you news such as changes to the way you can use Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites or new services and special offers we think you might be interested in. For more information on direct marketing and how to change your preferences, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences.
1e. Using Cookies
1f. Recording your calls
We may record or monitor calls that you receive from us, or make to us. We do this for security and training purposes and to improve the service we provide to you.
2a. When you use Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites
2b. When you use our Keyword Search Tool
Our Keyword Search Tool allows you to search for keywords being used to find businesses on Yell.com and the number of searches being made against different keywords. When you use our Keyword Search Tool, we will store your email address and will use this information to identify any activities that are prohibited under our online services conditions of use. We collect this information from everyone that uses the Keyword Search Tool.
2c. Website customisation and advert targeting
We may use the information you give us about yourself when you register on Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites to build up a picture of your interests. We may then use this information to try to make sure that when you visit our websites, you don’t miss offers and information that might interest you. This is called advert targeting.
2d. Tracking how our websites are used
We may collect information about activity on Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites, or we may use other organisations to collect the information and to share the results with us. We use this information to:
- analyse statistics;
- track pages and paths used by visitors to our websites;
- target the banner adverts on our websites and on the websites of other organisations; and
- track the use of our internet banner adverts and other links from our marketing partners’ websites to our websites.
2e. When you order our products or services
If you advertise with us, ask for a Your Profile listing, order our directories or any other products and services, register for or attend one of our events, apply for credit with us, set up, look at or change your account details or contact our customer services team, we will record your personal details. Your information will be used in the first place to provide the products, services or information you have asked for. We keep the information you provide and may use it for several purposes, including:
- accounting, billing and audit;
- credit checking or screening;
- credit, debit or other payment card verification and screening;
- debt collection;
- safety, security, health, administrative and legal purposes;
- analysing statistics, the market and marketing information;
- developing, testing and maintaining systems;
- studies, research and development;
- advertiser or user surveys; and
- customer services and to help us in any future dealings with you, for example by identifying your requirements and preferences.
For these purposes we may disclose your information to one or more of the other organisations listed in section 5 – Who we may share your personal information with.
If you give us feedback, we may use it to improve our products and services and we may publish it online or offline to promote our business, products and services. We will ask for your permission before we publish it.
2g. Direct marketing
For information on how we may market to you, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences.
2h. Customer surveys
We may contact you:
- about any product or service you have asked for or ordered, in order to provide you with that product or service;
- about any free line entry you have asked for, in order to process your request;
- about information you have asked for, in order to answer your request;
- if you have given us feedback, to discuss that feedback or ask your permission to publish it;
- if you have chosen to receive further information from us;
- to invite you to take part in surveys about our products and services (it is always up to you whether you want to take part); and
- for marketing purposes, unless you tell us to stop (for more information, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences).
We offer you the chance to receive important news from Our Group and information about our products and services, such as changes to the way you can use Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites and new services and special offers you might be interested in. We may use your order history to send you information we think you may be interested in.
Unless you tell us otherwise, when you sign up for Your Profile listing or register or attend one of our events, we will contact you every now and again to see if you are interested in buying any advertising from us. If you order any of our products and services, we will contact you every now and again with news from Our Group, with information about our products and services and to see if you would like to renew or buy more advertising from us. We will ask you if you want to receive direct marketing if you:
- register for Happy Dog or any of our other advertiser-focussed websites;
- register or attend a Webinar event or any other seminar, conference, workshop, training course or networking event we advertise and/ or provide; or
- enter a competition, prize draw or register for a promotion with any company in Our Group.
Unless you tell us otherwise, we may contact you by phone, post, email, text message or any other way (electronic or otherwise). We will normally send you direct marketing by email if we have your email address.
If you would like us to stop sending direct marketing to you, we offer simple ways for you to tell us to stop. Whenever you receive direct marketing from us, we will tell you how to unsubscribe. Also, if you are registered on Happy Dog, you can change your marketing preferences at any time by logging on and changing the marketing preferences in “Edit Profile”. If you prefer, you can also change your marketing preference by emailing us at email@example.com
If you tell us that you do not want to receive direct marketing, we will still contact you in order to confirm and carry out any requests or orders you make with us and for administration purposes.
If you previously chose not to receive direct marketing, but you have changed your mind and would now like to receive news, information and special offers from us, you can sign up again at any time through Happy Dog. Simply log on to Happy Dog and change the marketing preferences in “Edit Profile”. If you prefer, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may need to share your information with other organisations to provide you with the products, services or information you ask for. We may pass your information to one or more of the following organisations:
- other companies in Our Group;
- credit checking or screening service providers;
- payment processing organisations (such as PayPal, Stripe);
- debt collection agencies;
- data processing companies;
- mailing houses working on our behalf;
- research students, universities and other research and development organisations;
- government and enforcement agencies, such as Trading Standards, and the police.
- accounting software (such as Xero)
- automation software (such as Zapier, SendInBlue)
Occasionally, this may involve sending your information outside the European Economic Area. For more information, please read section 6 – Where we process your personal information.
We do not pass your details to third parties, for them to use for marketing or sell your details to other organisations for marketing purposes.
If you advertise with us, we may share any business address you give us with your customers on a case by case basis if there is a genuine consumer dispute, whether or not your address is published in your advertising and whether or not you agree for us to share it.
Every now and again, we receive requests for information from government departments, the police and other enforcement agencies. If this happens, and there is a proper legal basis for providing your personal information, we will provide it to the organisation asking for it.
When we use your information as described in section 2 – How we will use information we collect about you, this may occasionally involve sending your information outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Where we do this, we make sure that appropriate steps are taken to protect your personal information and your rights. By providing us with your personal information, you agree that we may transfer, store and process your information outside the EEA.
You can view and update your personal details quickly and easily by logging onto Happy Dog.
If you prefer, you can also update the personal details we hold by emailing us at email@example.com.
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We have put in place technology and security policies which are designed to protect the personal information that we hold about you. We also follow the strict security procedures that privacy laws require. These cover storing, using and releasing any information you have provided, and preventing unauthorised access or use.
Our websites contain hyperlinks to websites that are owned and operated by other organisations. These websites have their own privacy and cookie policies, and we urge you to read them. They control how your personal information is used when you give it to these other organisations or they collect it with cookies. We do not approve any other websites and we are not responsible for any information, material, products or services that are on or accessible through those websites or for the privacy practices of websites run by other organisations. If you use these other websites you do it at your own risk.
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually tell you when we collect your personal details if we are planning to use them for marketing purposes or if we plan to pass them to any other organisation for marketing purposes. For more information, please read section 4 – Direct Marketing and how you can manage your marketing preferences.
You have the right to see information we hold about you (with some exceptions, which are described in the privacy laws). If you would like a copy of your personal information, you should contact our data protection officer. You will need to pay a processing fee of £10.
You have the right to review and update your personal details. You can do this quickly and easily through Happy Dog.
If you prefer, you can also change the personal details we hold by contacting our customer services team firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated on 23 June 2019